Labels

Friday 14 December 2018

Mincemeat and cross stitch

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas...
I was asked the other day whilst discussing what I was picking up from the supermarket for Christmas nibbles if I was going to get some mince pies. It was a resounding no from me. I am quite partial to the humble mince pie, but I have been thoroughly spoilt in recent years and my husband makes his own (and not just the pastry either). He lovingly prepares a new batch of mincemeat every year (OK I nag, beg and cajole him to) and they are quite simply divine. Trouble is that now I can't enjoy the shop bought ones or even the jars of mincemeat. The house smells amazing while he's making them too. He uses a recipe from a Gary Rhodes recipe book that's about 17 years old.
 So last week, after I uploaded the blog post and shortly before the school run, my new cross stitch arrived. I was itching to get started and I've made reasonable progress I think, despite having to wait until the munchkins were tucked up in bed before making a start. Considering there is around 36,400 cross stitches to complete I've stitched maybe an eighth of the pattern but it still doesn't actually look like anything.

I've also helped the boys to finish off their felt Christmas tree decorations that we bought from Aldi a few weeks ago and they are now happily adorning our tree. They've come out pretty well and the boys are really pleased with them. I think for next year I'm going to attach them to a length of ribbon and make a garland with them (mean mummy that I am I have a thing about everything on my tree matching!)

Only one week left at school now for the boys and only one toddler group for me and A. I'm hoping that means I can get some more stitching done but I'm also super conscious that this kit was expensive (for me) and I really shouldn't get through it too quickly - I'm just really enjoying it.

Until next time,

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you if you've found this blog post helpful or if you would like a feature yourself.