Labels

Friday 29 March 2019

Getting kids into crafting

People often ask me how I got into crafting - for some the complexities of knitting, crochet and embroidery just seem a step too far and when I tell them I've been doing it since I was small they can be quite surprised. I have such fond memories of learning to knit, sew and crochet with my Nanna and have always found it such a great way to relax, even managing to squeeze in a bit of cross stitch whilst at university (when I thought I was soooo busy and just didn't have time for stuff - how I laugh about that now as a parent!)

My eldest 3 years ago when
he first learnt to knit
I think the impression that knitting etc. is something that the older generations do is starting to be displaced, but it was certainly prevalent up until a few years ago. The advent of programmes like The Great British Sewing Bee and Kirstie's Handmade Christmas has definitely helped to make crafting cooler as well as being able to source so many different fabrics and notions online. You certainly wouldn't have found cross stitch charts for the Avengers and Harry Potter when I was a kid! (Now I've found these I'm kinda desperate to get one of each, but I'd better finish my Lake Baikal first). But there can still be this thing about boys doing knitting, sewing etc. as it's still deemed by some as being a 'girl's hobby'.

Not in MY house!! Don't get me wrong, we have the typical boy activities (LEGO, so much Lego) but I guess because the boys are so used to seeing me with a needle or hook of some description it has
sparked their interest. I taught both boys to knit a little while ago now and while they haven't got past the knit stitch, they are both pretty competent in it. More recently though they have got into cross stitch.  It's a fairly simple craft to learn, after all it's essentially just sewing a load of crosses, and it can be quite quick with some of the smaller charts and projects you can buy.

Both boys have recently finished a project and Master L took his in to show his teacher this week. He is clearly proud of what he has achieved, as he should be. he has now started a much bigger project and the really wonderful thing is that he too finds it relaxing. He struggles with his behaviour sometimes, nit always making good choices and I've noticed that he is so much calmer when he is absorbed in his stitching. Such a bonus.
Master L's cross stitch project part way through and the
finished article

I'm not daft and I strongly suspect that in a few years when the boys are teenagers they will laugh at me if I suggest they make something. BUT I do hope that, like me, they return to it in the future and pass their knowledge on to any children they may have. I am so looking forward to being able to teach little miss how to knit, crochet and sew. For now we will stick with the simpler activities like painting and sticking, making good use of suggestions that I find on blogs such as the wonderful Red Ted Art.

How about you? What got you into crafting and how do you encourage your children to join in?  Is it a case of 'monkey see, monkey do' or are you a bit more proactive with it?  Let me know in the comments here or via Facebook or Instagram.

Until next time,

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you if you've found this blog post helpful or if you would like a feature yourself.