Labels

Friday 22 February 2019

Knitting, cross stitch and kitchen refit news

Eurgh, so little miss thought she'd be a caring little sister/daughter and has loving shared her virus with us all. We're all feeling pretty horrific and I for one am so unutterably glad that it's half term tomorrow (although we seem to be lagging behind on the rest of the UK who all appear to be off this week).

The current state of affairs in my kitchen
Aside from the fact that we won't have to get up for the school/work run, February half term means that we are fitting the kitchen.  As I've mentioned previously, I've been planning and waiting for my kitchen since we moved in almost 13 years ago so the excitement levels have definitely got pretty darn huge, especially as this morning I took delivery of the units, doors and worktops. I'm itching to get building them and putting them in position but I'm being well behaved and waiting until Sunday when hubby is home.  Just about... I may have pulled out the cooker and stripped wallpaper/cleaned all behind earlier on today.  Sorry to bore on but I'm so flipping excited about it.  This time next week I'll have cupboards and worktop again for a start but the end (barring decorating) will be in sight.

Last Friday's progress versus today's progress
- almost a quarter done now.
Crafting wise, despite being unwell I've made some reasonable progress. No finished projects alas, although I'm conscious I could probably do with a couple and I'm contemplating doing a some tutorial type blog posts, but I did go and pick up some double pointed needles to do the arms of the jumper and have been having a good go at the Lake Baikal cross stitch. It's coming along, albeit slowly, but then that is to be expected with the size of the project. It's definitely a labour of love and I'm sure it will be worth is in the end.

Working on double pointed needles hasn't been as scary as I thought it would be. In the same way as when working with a circular needle you need to make sure that you don't twist the first row when joining it in the round (I learnt that mistake the hard way). The only other thing I've felt I need to bear in mind is to keep the yarn fairly taught when moving from one needle to the next to maintain tension.  It's knitting up well though. I'm writing the pattern up as I go along, checking things are correct with what I had originally planned out and tweaking where needed.

Master L has been getting in on the act with craft this week too.  We spent a few hours last weekend happily stitching side by side as he worked on his little cross stitch and it was really nice to have someone to stitch with. He also got crafty for his homework, making a stone age inspired necklace from salt dough. He was ever so proud of the results, as he should be, having made the salt dough himself and then fashioning the shapes all on his own. Even though he is the grand old age of 8 I forget sometimes how capable he is and really should let him take the lead with his craft projects. Especially as I have removed all glitter from the house so won't have that trauma to contend with 😉.

I'm off to do some more knitting before I have to put it to one side for the big kitchen build.

Until next time,

M x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you if you've found this blog post helpful or if you would like a feature yourself.